Department of Social Welfare (DoSW), Govt. of Bihar set up “SAKSHAM” i.e. State Society for Ultra Poor and Social Welfare (SSUPSW) in the year 2011 - 12to provide technical assistance to the department and to undertake special projects for the welfare of poor people of Bihar. SAKSHAM is an independent organization registered under the Society Registration Act 1860. Vision of SAKSHAM is “to protect and promote the rights of women, children, older persons, persons with disabilities, ultra poor and beggars by ensuring their care, protection, development, socio-economic and cultural empowerment through enabling policies and programs”.
Objectives of SAKSHAM are :
- To create an enabling policy environment for the welfare of ultra poor and beggars, women, children, older persons, PWDs by supporting formulation, planning, management and implementation of enabling policies.
- To evolve strategies and approaches for the welfare of ultra poor and beggars, women, children, older persons, PWDs, especially in situation of vulnerabilities, risk abuse, discrimination and social stigmatization, including mentally challenged persons.
- To provide credit and other facilities for economic empowerment of ultra poor, PwDs and Older Persons etc.
- To contribute to the lives of ultra poor, PWDs, older persons etc. through empowerment and fostering strong self-managed grassroots institutions and support investment by them.
- To function as the Resource Centre for DoSW and its Directorates in policy analysis and policy development – including development/revision of operational guidelines, standards of care and policy documents.
- To support DoSW and its Directorates to review and strengthen institutional arrangements and in formulating and implementing programs/schemes for ensuring a continuum of social welfare and health and nutrition services for Ultra poor and beggars, Women, Older persons and PwDs - including setting up, management and monitoring of resource/units residential/non-residential institutions for example Old Age Homes, Children Homes, Shelter Homes, Short Stay Homes etc.
General Body (GB) is the apex body of SAKSHAM for the policy decisions. It is headed by the Development Commissioner of Govt. of Bihar as the chairperson & represented by the Secretaries of concerning departments of the state government and heads of the different government agencies and Civil Society Organizations. Secretary, Department of Social Welfare is the Chairperson of its Executive Committee. The Society is managed by CEO & PD from Department of Social Welfare. CEO and PD of the Society are supported by Dy. CEO and Sr. Administrative Officer for Programme implementation & day-to-day to functioning of the Society with a team of Professionals and support staff.
SAKSHAM has following specialized units
- Services for Ultra Poor (Beggars)
- Nutrition Monitoring Unit (NMU)
- Services for Older Persons (OP)
- Services for Persons with Disabilities (PwD)
- Communication & Research (C & R)
- Capacity Building (CB)
- Admin, Finance and Procurement
Presently SAKSHAM is undertaking following projects
- Nutrition Monitoring Unit (NMU) for strengthening management services of the Integrated Child Development Services (ICDS) Programme under “Sector Wide Approach to Strengthen Health (SWASTH)” project funded by DFID, UK.
- Mukhyamantri Bhikshavriti Nivaran Yojna (MBNY) to protect and promote the rights of beggars by ensuring their care, protection, development, socio-economic and cultural empowerment through enabling policies and programmes. MBNY is a Bihar state govt. scheme.
- Kabir Anteyeshti Anudan Yojana (KAAY):to provide one time grant to BPL families to undertake last rites (funeral rituals) in case of death of a family member. KAAY is a Bihar state govt. scheme.
- Mukhyamantri Viklang Sashaktikaran Yojna (SAMBAL) –to implement various articles of THE PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES (Equal Opportunities, Protection of Rights and Full Participation) Act, 1995,the Govt. of Bihar has approved an Integrated Empowerment Scheme for Persons with Disability (PwD). All presently State schemes for PwD e.g. Scholarship Scheme, Survey and Certification, Mukhyamantri Samarth Yojna, Mukhyamantri Nishaktjan Reen Yojna, and Workshop for PwD are merged together and bring under Mukhyamantri Viklang Sashaktikaran Yojna (SAMBAL) to protect and promote the rights of PwD in the financial year 2012 -13. SAMBAL has 3 major components to empower PwD - Educational Rehabilitation, Economic Rehabilitation and Social Rehabilitation.
- Bihar Integrated Social Protection Strengthening (BISPS) Project to strengthen the capacity of the state to deliver selected SP programs and services, and to improve service delivery outcomes in four districts by supporting the implementation of systemic reforms and piloting innovations. BISPS Project is in negotiation stage and will be funded by the World Bank.